It’s Raider week! Sunday, the Chiefs face the hated Raiders in Oakland with the possibility of clinching a playoff berth.
Sunday’s contest marks the 110th meeting between the Chiefs and Raiders, which is the most Kansas City has faced any single opponent. The Chiefs own a 56-51-2 (.523) overall record against Oakland, including a 54-50-2 mark in the regular season.
The last meeting between the two clubs was October 13th at Arrowhead Stadium, when the Chiefs won 24-7.
- Kansas City is third in the AFC and tied for seventh in the NFL for most points per game, averaging 26.4 points per contest (343 points) through Week 14.
- The Chiefs are second in the AFC and tied for second in the NFL with 43.0 sacks.
- With 11.0 sacks this season, LB
- Kansas City has 28 takeaways, which is tied for second in the NFL.
- The Chiefs defense has recorded 15 interceptions through Week 14, returning those interceptions 354 yards, ranking first in the AFC and second in the NFL in team return yards. Kansas City’s 23.6 yard per interception return average is second in the NFL.
- The Chiefs have nine punt returns of more than 20 yards to rank second in the NFL.
- With 10 return (punt, kickoff, fumble, interception) touchdowns in 2013, it marks the second-best total in franchise history. Kansas City has five defensive touchdowns in 2013, tying for the third-best mark in team history and five special teams touchdown, tying for the best mark in team history.
- Kansas City has outscored opponents 343 to 224, good for a 119-point scoring differential
Chiefs and Raiders Connections:
- Oakland Senior Offensive Assistant Al Saunders spent 1989-98 and 2001- 05 on the Chiefs coaching staff as assistant head coach/wide receivers coach and assistant head coach/offensive coordinator.
- Chiefs Quarterbacks Coach Doug Pederson (2000) and Director of Football Administration Trip MacCracken (1999-2009) spent time in Cleveland with Oakland Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach Tony Sparano (1999-2000).
- Kansas City’s Head Athletic Trainer Rick Burkholder (1993-98) served as Pittsburgh’s assistant athletic trainer, while Oakland Special Teams Coordinator Bobby April (1994-95) served in the same capacity.
- Oakland Head Coach Dennis Allen (1992-95) played safety for Texas A&M, while Chiefs Assistant Head Coach/Wide Receivers Coach David Culley (1991-93) was on the coaching staff as a wide receivers coach.
- Chiefs Linebackers Coach Gary Gibbs (1975-94) spent his time as Oklahoma’s linebackers coach, defensive coordinator and head coach, while Oakland Tight End Coach Mark Hutson was on the roster as a lineman (1986-87) and on the coaching staff as a graduate assistant (1990-92).
Records to Watch
On this Day
On December 15, 1925, Madison Square Garden hosted its first hockey game and in 1973, Pirates of the Caribbean ride opened at Disney World. On this day in 2001, the Leaning Tower of Pisa reopened after 11 years and $27 million to fortify it, without fixing its famous lean.
Also on this day, actor Adam Brody (34) is celebrating his birthday, along with comedian and actor, Tim Conway (80) and former Chiefs player, Dan Williams (44).
Focus Points for Week 15