The 9-1 Chiefs will take on the 4-6 San Diego Chargers on Sunday in Kansas City. Both teams will be battling to get back into the win column this week, as the Chiefs recorded their first loss of the season in Denver and the Chargers are reeling from a three-game losing streak. This game marks the 107th meeting between the two teams and the Chiefs hold a 23-18 (.561) all-time advantage over San Diego in games played at Arrowhead Stadium.
- The Chiefs rank first in the AFC and second in the NFL holding opponents to a 70.7 passer rating through the first 11 weeks of the season.
- DT Dontari Poe has 4.5 sacks in 2013 to rank third on the team, setting a new single-season career-high.
- The club’s plus-15 turnover differential is first in the NFL.
- The Chiefs rank second in the NFL in total points allowed, giving up just 13.8 points per game (138 total points) through Week 11.
- Kansas City is tied for first in the NFL with four interception returns for touchdowns.
- The Chiefs rank second in the NFL with 36.0 sacks.
- LB Derrick Johnson has 947-career tackles to rank third in club annals, becoming just the fourth player in team history to accumulate 900 or more tackles in their career.
- Kansas City's defense has recorded 12 interceptions through Week 11, returning those interceptions 294 yards, ranking first in the AFC and second in the NFL in team return yards. Kansas City’s 24.5 yard per interception return average leads the NFL (294 yards on 12 interceptions).
- The Chiefs are first in the AFC and second in the NFL with 24 takeaways.
- WR Dexter McCluster has 63-career punt returns for 693 yards for an 11.0-yard punt return average, the second-highest career punt return average for any Chiefs player with a minimum of 50 punt returns.
- Chiefs and Chargers Connections: Chiefs OL Geoff Schwartz (2008-11), DB Ron Parker (2012) Chargers WR Seyi Ajirotutu (2011), OLB Thomas Keiser (2011-12) and CB Richard Marshall (2006- 10) spent time on Carolina’s roster while San Diego Head Coach Mike McCoy (2000- 08), Wide Receivers Coach Fred Graves (2011-12) and Secondary Coach Ron Milus (2009-10) were on the coaching staff; Kansas City Running Backs Coach Eric Bieniemy was on the roster in San Diego from 1991-94; Chargers FB Le’Ron McClain was on the Chiefs roster for the 2011 season.
Records to Watch
- RB Jamaal Charles has 8,250 combined net yards for his career, to rank sixth on the all-time combined yards chart. He became just the sixth player in team history to record more than 8,000 combined yards. Charles needs 94 more combined yards to pass RB Ed Podolak (8,343) for fifth place on the all-time combined yards chart. With 198 yards, he would pass RBs Abner Haynes and Priest Holmes (8,447) to move into third place in franchise history.
- LB Tamba Hali has 71.5-career sacks, the fourth-highest total in team history. He needs 2.0 more to pass DE Art Still (73.0) for third.
- K Ryan Succop has attempted 133 PATs in his career to rank sixth place in team history. He needs to attempt nine more extra points to pass Lawrence Tynes (141) for fifth in team history.
- LB Justin Houston has 26.5 sacks in three seasons to rank 11th in club history for most sacks. He needs 1.5 more sacks to pass John Browning (27.5) for a place in the Top 10 in team history.
On This Day
On November 24, 1966 the Beatles began recording sessions for “Sgt Pepper," and in 1969, the Apollo 12 returned to Earth. Plus, on this day in 1996, Karrie Webb won the ITT LPGA Tour Championship, and in 2012, Gangnam Style became the most viewed YouTube video, surpassing 808 million views.
Also, on this day, Modern Family actress, Sarah Hyland is celebrating her 23rd birthday, along with Katherine Heigl (35) and Colin Hanks (36).
"Focus Points" for Week 12