The 2013 NFL Draft is 32 days away, which means there's no time like the present to spotlight 32 players you should get to know before April 25-27. However, none of the reports in this Draft Spotlight series are indicative of who the Kansas City Chiefs plan to draft, with any of their currently-owned eight picks.
Day 1 of 32
The last time the nation saw recently-turned 23-year-old EJ Manuel was on his pro day, on campus in Tallahassee, Florida. Manuel looked sharp during drills and afterwards, he caught up with the NFL Network's Mike Mayock, who lists Manuel as the No. 2-ranked QB in the draft.
Manuel was also very impressive during the 2013 NFL Scouting Combine, held February 23-26 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, IN.
Combine stats: (Top performer for his group)
40-yard dash (4.65 sec)
Vertical Jump (34.0 in.)
Broad Jump (118.0 in.)
3-Cone Drill (7.08 sec)
20-yard Shuttle (4.21 sec)
Prior to his performance at the Combine, Manuel shined at the Senior Bowl, leading the South to a 21-16 victory over the North and leaving as the game’s Most Outstanding Player. The performance likely wasn’t a surprise for the former Florida State QB. As a starter for the Seminoles, he earned a 25-6 record - leaving campus with the third-most wins in program history.
What else should you know about EJ? He is:
* The second QB in FBS history to win four-straight bowl games
* FSU's all-time leader in completion percentage (66.9), tied for second most in ACC history
* Ranked third all-time at FSU, in total offense (8,563 yards)
* Not slowed by lack of opportunity; despite just two seasons as the full-time starter, he threw 47-career TD passes (tied for seventh all-time at FSU)
* A strong finisher, with 2012 being his best season, going 263-of-387 for 3,392 yards and 23 TDs, en route to helping the Seminoles offense go down as the most productive in FSU history, totaling 6,591 yards
* Accurate - ranked second in the ACC and 14th nationally in passing efficiency (156.0) in 2012 and his career total of 150.4 ranks second all-time in the ACC
NFL Matchup's executive producer Greg Cosell complimented and critiqued EJ Manuel:
"Of the top six or seven quarterbacks in this class, he's the only one who can run read-option. It will be interesting to see if that raises his value," Cosell said during The Shutdown Corner Combine Preview Podcast.
"But again, it gets back to throwing the football. I think he has an easy delivery, and the ball comes out with velocity. He was under center more than people think -- I think people just assume that he was in the shotgun all the time. There were throws I saw that did have anticipation and good accuracy. He's got a high release point. At times, he's a little scattershot, and we'll see where that goes. His ball position is too high, and that will be changed in the NFL."
Name: EJ Manuel
College: Florida State University
Hometown: Virginia Beach, VA